Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Personal statement

    I am writing to apply for the Master Degree of Regional Studies of Eastern Asia (RSEA). Further, I am quite interested in the sociology of rural areas in both China and Japan.
     I always hold the belief that to be a qualified student of sociology, a person should have deep understandings about the country and society where he or she is in. This is the reason why I really want to study the sociology of Eastern Asia. Instead of universities in China and Japan, I think your university can provide a more objective perspective, a free environment, excellent libraries and resources, and more appealing chances.
   I am a suitable student for RSEA in many aspects.
   Firstly, I have great interests in Eastern Asia studies. When I entered Peking University, due to my interests in Eastern Asia, especially Japan and China, I chose Japanese Literature and Language as my First Degree. Except for compulsory courses, I also took many other courses relating to Asian culture and society, including the economics and arts of Japan. I am one of the top three students in my class.

   To strengthen my position, I chose Sociology as my Second Degree when I was a sophomore. It was a good combination of Language and Sociology. I could use Japanese as a tool to read many materials about Eastern Asia and also understand the societies of Japan and China better. Through the process, I have learned many useful methods and principles to carry on formal social research and I also think and write in a more critical way.

    Furthermore there is my experiential background. In China, I have attended a social survey of the rural areas in Guangxi province in my freshman year. I was also a volunteer teacher in the countryside of Hebei Province in China for three weekends. In both experiences, I learned the reality of China’s rural areas. In Japan, I have been to Tokyo University as an exchange student for one year when I was a junior. During that year, I not only improved my Japanese but also I was an intern at Japan Economical News where I had close talks with Japanese journalists.
Last but not least, I am an all-around student. I had the experience of working in the Student Union for two years, which challenged and benefited me insofar as I was able to work with people from cultures other than my own.
    Great interests in Eastern Asia studies, strong command of social studies, a rich cultural background in Asian societies and the advantage of being fluent in both Chinese and Japanese, these are what I have to meet your requirements. I am not the best student, but I am the most suitable student to your program.



No comments:

Post a Comment