Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Torosaurus: A Peabody Dinosaur


One hour has passed since I started my trip in search of the Peabody Natural History Museum. I have heard that it's one of the oldest and most famous natural history museums in the USA. But where is it?  Obviously I am not good at finding my way. Now I am walking alone under the strong sunlight without an umbrella and what's worse, my phone will shut down in a few minutes because of the battery. Feeling like an adventurer in a desert who is going to lose her compass, I just walk around hopelessly and aimlessly.
"Oh, there is something cool! What is it?" Yes, right there, across the street, there is a... a dinosaur?! Maybe it's a dinosaur. Excited, I crossed the street to have a close look.


Yes, it is. It is a giant bronze statue of a dinosaur whose name is torosaurus. I am sure that it is the coolest dinosaur I have seen and is actually beyond my description. It comes to life nearly just before my eyes. It stands on the top of a rock, with its rhinoceros horn pointing to the sky. It opens its mouth so largely that it seems to be able to eat people in one bite. Its skin is so lifelike that I can even feel the rigidity of the carapace. Besides, the muscles are well attached to the bone as natural as though it were living and I can even feel the strength of the muscles. Last but not least, what is scary most is its eyes. They are  glowering at something, maybe its prey. Of course, it is bellowing. It is showing the strength and power it has. Against the blue sky, it looks more life-like and powerful.
I walk around it to make a careful observation. It lives in a green and wild environment. The surrounding area is a Cretaceous garden with granite benches. There are lots of plantings surrounding it, including magnolias, ferns and other species that existed at the same time with it. The plantings are also attractive. Their colors and shapes are totally different from the plants nowadays.
Then I know that I have arrived. This must be the Peabody Museum! Turning right at the statue, I find the entrance to the museum. The sign tells me that it's 6 dollars for students to visit. “Six dollars, not very expensive. It deserves to be paid," I think. Groping for a ten dollar bill for a few minutes,
"Oh my god! "
I have left my purse in the dorm! How careless and forgetful I am! It's really a shame but I have enjoyed myself by only admiring the Peabody Dinosaur outside the museum.





No comments:

Post a Comment